[NSRCA-discussion] Trailers

John Ferrell jferrell13 at triad.rr.com
Wed Mar 10 08:23:18 AKST 2010

I still think my Pace is a good choice. I have had it for well over 10
years. They tend to be like boats, too small when you load them and too big
when you tow them. The price does not change much with size so get what you
want the first time. The tandem wheel versions are sprung so hard that you
must be careful with delicate cargo. They are also harder to back precisely.
6X10 is what I chose with an additional 6" of headroom. Mine weighs about
1700 pounds empty so that means 170 pounds on the hitch. If you load it so
as to reduce that weight, you will rearrange the cargo in the first 5 miles!
You have a choice with the rear door, ramp or vertical. Both have their
advantages & disadvantages. It is too much load for my Chrysler Town &
Country (the Chrysler book say it is good to 3000 pounds, I disagree) and
you forget you are towing with an RV. Besides model airplanes it has served
as a moving van for the family several times. At the moment, it is
semi-permanently parked and being used more like a shed!

A good, name brand trailer hold its value well. I think I paid less than
3000 for it and I expect I could get 2000 if I were to sell it.

John Ferrell  W8CCW

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
-Edward R. Murrow