[NSRCA-discussion] Mac vs PC was PACSS Page

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Mon Jul 12 05:50:45 AKDT 2010

That's the first myth, that running windows on a Mac is a Pseudo PC.   If you run windows natively on your mac, it's no different than running it on an HP, or a Dell, or a Sony, or any other "brand" machine.  The fact that a Mac comes with it's own OS, doesn't make it any different than those Intel based machines.  That didn't use to be the case when Mac's used the motorala chips, but for the last 5 years or so, they're just a different brand name on the hardware.

They're expensive because it's probably some of THE best hardware out there.   Throw all the Mac OS benefits away, it's still the best PC hardware available, though I would argue that it's pricey, even for the best. But then that's true in almost any product class...

The idea of running a virtual PC is in use regardless of whether or not you're running on a mac.  In my office we have about a 50/50 mix of Mac vs other PC hardware, but in ALL cases, everyone is running VMWare and using virtual machines, be they XP/Vista/Vista64/Win7 and even a few Win 98 virtuals for old clients.   The beauty (besides being able to jump from OS to OS without rebooting, or reloading) is that IF you do get a virus, you simply blow away the virtual and restart it, about the same effort as closing Word and reopening it.

The advantage of the Mac is simply that the Mac OS runs in the background much cleaner than Windows does and therefore seldom, if ever needs to be rebooted and overall is more secure.

There's a reason it costs more...

Mark Atwood
Paragon Consulting, Inc.  |  President
5885 Landerbrook Drive Suite 130, Cleveland Ohio, 44124
Phone: 440.684.3101 x102  |  Fax: 440.684.3102
mark.atwood at paragon-inc.com  |  www.paragon-inc.com