[NSRCA-discussion] C'ARF Integral - Mixing secret?

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 13:43:35 AKDT 2010

I flew my Integral 'stock' for the first 2 years, then last year, I added
adjusters to follow thru with Bryan's trimming method.  In stock form, I
had the CG at about 175mm, any further back, the plane was 'unsettled' for my
taste, would drop a wing in corners or pitch unexpectly in turbulence.
Also, in stock form, it had zero/zero wing/stab incidence.  With the  stock
downthrust, I had to mix in rudder to elev (4-5%) for knife  edge , rudder to
aileron (4%) since the plane is a little shy on dihedral,  left rudder at
low throttle (2%) for downlines and down elev at low  throttle for downlines.

After going thru Bryan's trimming method, I eliminated the rudder to  elev
mix for knife edge and some of the down elev at low throttle for  downlines.
I added about .3 degrees positive incidence in the wing and I  reduced the
downthrust by about 33%,  left rudder still required for  downlines, my last
3 electric planes have required that mix (Brio, Genesis,  Integral).  Most
of the Integrals here in NorCal are using that mix  also.   My CG is even
more forward now, around 155-160mm with this  setup.  No differential in the
ailerons.  Plane is very solid, spins  and snaps stop almost instantly.  Very
solid elev response and rolls very  axially.

Warped wing,  2 of the 3 Integrals I have built came from the factory  with
the right wing twisted about .5-.75 degrees.  My guess is they have
multiple molds and one or more are twisted.  It seems about 50-50 whether  you get
straight or twisted right wing. The good news is, with adjusters,  you can
adjust the wings so the ailerons fly with no trim and stalls are  very
predictable.  Would still prefer to have straight wings, but my  original wasn't
and I am still flying it.

All in all, the Integral is the best plane I have ever owned.  I have  a
white one in the shipping box in my workshop, next in project in line.

Don

In a message dated 7/6/2010 1:00:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,