[NSRCA-discussion] DZ160/170 check valve

Michael Cohen precisionaero at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 12:34:49 AKDT 2010

Lately, my 170DZ has been leaving quite a lot of fuel residue on the airplane.  Following Richard Verano's advice, I ran the motor with the cowl off upside down while my wife held the airplane.  The fuel is quite obviously coming out of the black check valve on top of the motor.  I have seen on this list before that the check valve can be lived without.  So first question.  Does fuel coming out of the check valve means it has failed in some way?  Second, how do I intentionally remove the check valve without damaging the engine?  Third, once removed, do I still need one somewhere along the fuel inlet path?

Mike Cohen