[NSRCA-discussion] computer experts

Ron Hansen rcpilot at wowway.com
Wed Jan 27 17:02:40 AKST 2010

Jason, I just had this happen to me at work.  If it is a virus then most
anti-virus programs will detect it and it normally can be removed.  If it is
malware then anti-virus programs are not very good at detecting them.
Anti-malware programs can detect and remove them but that does not always
fix the problem.  In my case I had a malware program that was re-directing
my internet searches.  For example, when I searched for NSCRA, internet
explorer or google would produce numerous search results.  When I clicked on
the correct search result it would re-direct me to somewhere other than the
NSRCA website.  It took several different anti-malware programs before I
found one that would detect it.  Once I found the name of the malware I
contacted my anti-virus company (NOD32 or ESET) with removing it.  That did
not fix the problem.  Next at the suggestion of my IT guy I switched from
internet explorer to Firefox.  That did not fix the problem.  The only
remaining solution was to re-install my operating system.  Your malware may
be different than mine but as I understand it my experience on the
effectiveness of anti-virus programs and removing malware is pretty typical.

Hope this helps.

Ron