[NSRCA-discussion] OT: virus / malware - was: computer experts

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Wed Jan 27 16:43:56 AKST 2010

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 1:30:50 +0000, seefo at san.rr.com wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Whatever route you decide to go with, use a different computer to
> create a floppy/CD recovery disk for the anti-virus software, and
> boot from that disc. Most virii will not allow an infected computer
> to clean itself these days. This is your best bet, ESPECIALLY if it
> was one of these self-promoting apps which alerts you by saying "You
> are infected with a virus, click here to clean it", which then
> actually INSTALLS the malware. These sorts of things are the worst to
> fix honestly.
>
> -Doug

This is one area where complacency can be a big problem.  If you think
you are safe and have taken appropriate measures have a look at this
topical link from the ZDNet Security blog:

http://tinyurl.com/ycfgs4l

In a nutshell, 48% of us are wrong about how secure our computers are.
Now go update that software ;)

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com