[NSRCA-discussion] Hatch Latch

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Sun Jan 10 19:40:45 AKST 2010

Jim,

As I said, I used the Graupner 8066 on quite a few planes without a problem.
Not that it matters, but about 4 years ago, I put one in a Genesis
(electric) and the canopy blew off on the first flight. Fortunately, I was
able to find it and it wasn't damaged. I double checked everything and saw
that the latch was fully engaging into the bulkhead so I flew again. The
canopy blew off again, this time with pretty heavy damage to the canopy and
the LE of the stab it hit on the way down. I used tape for awhile and
finally removed the hatch latch and replaced it with a 4-40 screw. Starting
with my next plane, I've been using the red hatch latch because of the extra
spring stiffness and didn't change anything else about my canopy mounting
method and I haven't had any problems. My personal opinion is that the weak
spring tension on the 8066 will allow it to get pushed into the retracted
under just the right vibration and/or airframe torque conditions.

I had the 8066 in an electric Partner that I flew all season the year before
the Genesis and the rest of the canopy mounting method was identical. In
fact, the previous 5 or 6 planes prior to that had no problems with the 8066
latch. My guess is that if you've flown your plane with that latch and had
no problems, you probably won't. I just wouldn't pick that latch for
anything I build in the future now that I know. If my comments have you
nervous, you can just put a piece of tape over the slot so the pin can't
move and then remove the tape after your flight. I did that for awhile with
the Genesis and then replaced the latch with the 4-40 screw after I got
tired of doing the tape thing. With a little care and time, you could
probably remove the Graupner latch and replace it with the red one. Winter's
a lot better time than at the start of the competition season.

Verne