[NSRCA-discussion] World Models Impulse XP

Ronald Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Jan 7 10:07:26 AKST 2010

Some of you know that I just took delivery of an electric-version
World Models Impulse XP.  I finally had the time to get it out of the
boxes and take a hard look at what is here.  It is a completely
painted airplane; no MonoKote/UltraCote/WhateverCote.  I hate Mylar-
covered anything, but, until now, I had to settle for painted
fuselages and Mylar-covered wings/stabs.

Out of the box, the electric-version is lighter than the glow-
version, because some of the structure in the nose of the glow-
version is not installed in the nose of the electric-version.  A
carbon fiber nose ring is provided, but not installed, because, while
necessary for a nose-ring mount, would add unneeded extra weight for
a standoff mount.  The canopy is removable and has the rear pin and
front screw hardware already installed.  The belly comes off in two
pieces: a chin cowl and aft belly, with all the necessary hardware
installed.  There is a carbon fiber landing gear, with the necessary
holes/hardware installed.  The supplied wing/stab tubes are carbon
fiber.  In addition, I didn't expect, but also received a carbon
fiber spinner, mounted like a Tru Turn spinner, with one bolt through
the nose.  Another goodie I didn't expect, but also received, was
installed wing adjusters.  The stab halves are not adjustable as
delivered.

The rudder is actuated via pull-pull cables, with the horns, ball-
bearing swivel links, cables, clevises and other hardware included.
The elevators are actuated via a single carbon fiber pushrod to the
tail and cross-fuselage bellcrank, both included.  Similar to the
rudder hardware, the elevator horns, ball-bearing swivel links,
clevises, short carbon fiber pushrods with threaded ends and other
hardware are included.  The aileron setup also has horns, ball-
bearing swivel links clevises, short carbon fiber pushrods with
threaded ends and other hardware included.  Wheels are provided, but
I'm going to use the Maxx Products aluminum hub wheels.
A tailwheel assembly was provided, but I intend to use an MK
tailwheel assembly.

This is one nicely finished airplane.  When I get more time, I will
weigh the individual components as they come out of the box and
provide the information to interested individuals.

BTW, the electric-version World Models Impulse XP lists at $1500 and
requires about six weeks for delivery.  Mine took right at six weeks
to get to my door.  Shipping from World Models' U.S. distributor,
AirBorne Models in California, to Florida was about $100; $80 for the
fuselage via Greyhound (too big a box for FedEx or UPS) and about $20
for the wings/stabs via FedEx.  I am a dealer, so I paid about $200
less than what shown above.

If you're interested in more details, please e-mail me off-list.

Ron Van Putte