[NSRCA-discussion] Weight rule, was PACSS Upgrade

Joe Lachowski jlachow at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:41:51 AKST 2010

At least in the Northeast, 90 percent or more of the guys abide by the rules. And planes that are a pound overweight would be easy to spot. Just watch how they fly. It is obvious. And frankly, if someone wants to fly at a disadvantage, let them.

As a CD, I don't have the manpower for weighing planes. Funny thing, a few years back we had courtesy weighing at one contest. Best of my recollection, everyone was legal. I found most pattern people are honest and abide by the rules. At least in my neck of the woods they do. I really don't think local level contests are the issue when it comes to weight.

I do, however, feel it is a necessity at a premier event like the Nationals. It is making the playing field even  and knowing everyone meets the rules at a Nationals where everyone comes from different parts of the country that counts. I said, I prefer the current rules, but would not think it smart to make a big jump if it were done. OK maybe 4 ozs is a more realistic starting point if it were to be done. Most people who have trouble making weight are in that area of 1 to 4 ozs when it comes to being over the weight limit anyway.

A 0.5kg tolerance is alot. Over a pound alot.