[NSRCA-discussion] Help Me Loose Weight

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 13 08:16:47 AKST 2010

Ron,

If you are buying the radio equipment from scratch.....you could definitely
save some weight going with smaller/lighter/newer servo/RX options -

40 grams - JR 378 elevator servos

80 grams - JR 9411 aileron servos

10 grams - Spektrum AR6200 RX

This equates to 46 grams savings on radio gear (compared to more traditional
weights, which you listed), and if you eliminated the switch, you could save
another 20 grams (would still need a 3" extension from the RX to the RX
batt).

~40 grams saving with CF spinner (exactly which one depends on exactly what
size the Focus II needs).

~15 grams saving using Dubro Super Light 2.5" wheels.

~30 grams saving shortening the leads on the ESC (unless you need the full
length of the stock wiring).

So now it is around 150 grams saved.  Still a long way to go.

1344 grams for the motor lipo is a HUGE amount of weight.  Assuming that is
a very robust 30C 50000, consider dropping to a similar 4000, and save 20%
lipo weight (270 grams).  4000 mah is plenty for Int/Adv, and it would put
you at about 4900 grams, plus whatever Misc not yet accounted for in your
numbers.  Things like prop, servo extensions, linkages, nuts/bolts, etc are
easily another 125 grams, and glassing/painting isn't going to happen for 25
grams (unless you've already added an estimated amount to your numbers).

914 grams for wings is extremely heavy (if unpainted and without
servos/linkages)...replacing them (along with the above) is probably your
only option to stay <5000 grams, unless you opt for something like a TP PL
V2 3900, which would save ~440 grams (and just might be cheaper than CF
spinner, CF landing, new radio components, etc).

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

Team Horizon / JR / Spektrum / ThunderPower / Castle Creations

  _____