[NSRCA-discussion] Control Horn Mounting

Pascoe,Tim [Burlington] Tim.Pascoe at ec.gc.ca
Fri Feb 12 08:15:40 AKST 2010

I've been talking about various control horn mounting techniques with a
few people, and have a question for the list. In the past, I've always
used the Balsa block/dowel hard point/screw/MK horn for control
linkages. More recently, I've seen the technique for inserting a ply
plate in/under the skin of the surface, and simply screwing in to this
with a horn. I prefer this technique, but I've seen it only on electric
build threads so far - strong enough for glow too?

Also - Hobby King sells some nice carbon fiber control horns for a very
reasonable price. These horns, however, are of the variety that simply
glue into a slot cut into a balsa block. In the Integral, as an example,
this is used successfully, but a question has been raised as to whether
this works because it is a hard fiberglass skin, or whether it would be
just as strong in the case of a balsa/foam wing with a hard-point of
balsa inserted at the mounting point. To take it a step further, would
it be strong enough in a built-up framed surface, with a block mounted
under the covering as the attachment?

Finally - is there a good source for aluminum horns? I really like the
Hyde ones, but it seems they are not available any more? Is anyone
carrying the CA Models horns (Checked F3A Unlimited, but didn't see
them).

Tim Pascoe