[NSRCA-discussion] Charger

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 7 07:55:01 AKST 2010

For my 2 cents..

The ThunderPower 1010 w/ 210 balancers has long been very solid for charging
at up 200 watts (10s at 5 amps).  The biggest problem with the 1010 setup,
is what plagues every setup - the lack of robust connections for the balance
taps (and in the case of the 1010, the connections between the balancer and
charger).  Several months ago, parts were in short supply, but that has been
fixed (I spoke with TP ~1 week ago).

If you need a charger right now, the Hyperion EOS 0615i Duo III is very hard
to beat.  2 separate channels that can each handle up to 6S and 180 watts
(on 12 volt input), and can be synchronized for charging of up to 12S.  For
pattern use, you can charge 10s at about 8 amps.  The charging algorithm is
very fast, and balancing appears to be as accurate as any charger I have
used.  If you bump up to 24 volt input, the total power increases to about
600 watts.

If you can wait just ~1 month, the new ThunderPower 820 charger will be
available, and it is conceptually similar to the 0615.  Each channel can
handle up to 8s and 20 amps not to exceed 200 watts per channel (on 12 volt)
or 400 watts (on 24 volt), and the channels can be synchronized.  Balancers
are integrated.  Street price is going to be around $270, and they were
running pre-order specials in November (not sure if any specials are
available now).

With many things "techy", the "best" is often the reputable manufacturer
with the most recent entry to the market.  I'd bet the 820 will again be a
solid choice for many years, as the 1010s were.

Of course there is also the Schulze line of chargers, very nice, but very
expensive.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

Team Horizon/JR/Spektrum/ThunderPower