[NSRCA-discussion] "Sick" Lipo Packs

Chris cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 5 05:33:57 AKST 2010

Ron,

(The use of the word "you" in the following does not mean you personally
Ron)

I think that the way we run the batteries, we will never get many
hundreds or thousands of cycles from them.  If you put aside the
marketing hype, no battery can supply what the typical r/c guy demands
from it over many many hundreds of flights. We sometimes over discharge
(at a high rate too), run them at sub optimal temps, charge improperly,
etc. etc. etc.  With the advent of cheap batteries for our purposes, we
treat the packs as utterly disposable and as a result get poor
performance and life cycle life in return.  My first set of TP 5300
Pro-lites cost me $650 for a set and believe me, I read the directions
10 times and talked with lots of knowledgeable people before I attempted
to run them the first time and then followed the instructions and
suggestions to a "T".  Those packs made it to 175 useful cycles because
due to the price, I treated them like gold.  Now, guys don't have that
investment and don't use the same level of care but are still surprised
when they don't last a long time. *Every single time* you over charge,
over discharge, run a 50 degree battery right from your trunk, etc you
damage the pack.  Period. It does not usually show up immediately so you
think it's ok and keep doing things that damage the pack until at flight
35 or 40, it starts to swell during a perfectly normal flight and the
user thinks the packs just swelled up for no reason since they were not
abusing it THAT flight, but the damage had already been done.

I am not saying at all that it's blame the user for all battery failures
as there are some that are genuinely bad and have a defect of some sort,
but you cannot abuse them over time and expect them to last. Again,
these batteries are still very fragile and our usage of them is very,
very extreme and the utmost care needs to be heeded to get maximum life
and performance from them.  I am guilty too as I am not as diligent as I
once was with the $650 set, and as a result sometimes get a reduced
lifespan from a pack but we all justify it by saying that they were
relatively cheap anyways.  I submit we can all get much better life and
performance if we took better care of our packs, but that takes time and
effort and diligence. There is a very good reason why some people get
long life from their packs and others get much, much less from their
identical brand packs.

Chris Moon