[NSRCA-discussion] website back up

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 14:10:20 AKST 2010

Interesting discussion. During my years in mid management I found most knew
what they wanted to know and were often offended when presented additional
information as if it complicated their world.
As for computer development, when I entered engineering management A 2-D CAD
seat was around $50,000 ($25k software on a $25K workstation) which was kind
of unappealing for a small company. Within a very few years the software
price and support requirements both came in line with PC's having greater
capability and a lower cost at which time I added two seats for around
$18,000. Within a few years 3-D became an affordable tool and I tried to
explain to the folks selling the stuff that they were misrepresenting the
produce selling it as a design tool. For years I designed drawing freehand
on placemats during lunch meetings. Prior to near photo quality 3-D images
prototype hardware needed to be built and presented to through marketing
folks to customers only to here "that's not what I meant". Needless to say
this pre-computer age development process was expensive and time consuming.
I found these tools to be extremely useful for creating new or revising
parts within existing assemblies and timely communication of concept. The
real benefit was in electronic filling and communication of information.
Today we seam to be restricted only by our imagination.
I'm still only a user of computer technology and I miss it greatly when it's
broke.
Jim