[NSRCA-discussion] Scary night of flying

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 08:57:14 AKDT 2010

Ron,
I the question was " if NiCad can be quick charged on a first charging or do they have to be slow charged like NiMh?". The key word is FIRST. Answer is no, they shouldn't be.  Two or three cycles at c/10 are recommended to form the cells.  Radical RC has some good info on their website about forming charging, and will not warranty cells that are ruined by fast charging on the first cycle, whether they be nicads or NiMh.   Some cells should never be fast charged, ie ultra high capacity NiMh's.

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Tx-Packs-NiMH-&-NiCd-20

Nicads and NiMh's can also "false peak" early in the charge cycle when they are pretty well drained, making you think they are fully charged, when they don't have much charge at all.  If I am peak charging well formed packs, I always turn off the charger and turn it oon again when it indicates they have peaked to make sure.

This whole business is why I use Li Ion (not lipo) cells with a regulator for my receiver and servos.  Lighter, no memory, very high capacity, durable.  Fromeco or Central sell good 2600 mah packs.

Jon Lowe