[NSRCA-discussion] Question.

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Fri Aug 20 09:09:55 AKDT 2010

From Underwriter Lab documents….

Testing in 1950s determined that a
shock and let-go value of not greater than 42.4 volts was
an acceptable level in most dry locations and would not
be lethal to a person in contact with the circuit. This
value of 42.4 volts peak would not be acceptable in a wet
location since the resistance of a person’s body would be
much lower in a wet condition.

It’s extremely person to person dependent.  Our skin resistance varies wildly and the difference between Dry skin and Wet skin is something like 100,000 ohms to 1,000 ohms.  Sort of a wide range.

But again, the “generally accepted” safe low voltage is 40V, or in the case of UL Listing, 42.4.

I have to believe that played a big role in the FAI guideline initially of not exceeding 42V.

AC current is different, both more and less lethal.  More because it fibrillates the heart, but less because you have a chance of letting go.  Very situation dependent.

Mark Atwood
Paragon Consulting, Inc.  |  President
5885 Landerbrook Drive Suite 130, Cleveland Ohio, 44124