[NSRCA-discussion] Electric props vs. standard pattern

Ken Velez kvelez at rochester.rr.com
Mon Sep 7 19:41:05 AKDT 2009

Hi Dave,

It seems to me that the electrics are not turning comparable numbers. Most
setups are turning in the low to mid 6000 and only 1 or 2 set ups are in the
7000 and none in the 8000 that I know of. This is based on what I have
observed only; so there could be a setup turning higher numbers; and on a
10S battery. If you go to more cells = more Volts = more RPM's also more
Amps. FAI is caped to 10 cells not sure about AMA. My Hacker A-60 is on the
mid 7000 and we were using the 18.1X10-11-12 glow props; while it flies very
nice with these props the plane is very slow for top classes and or wind. So
right now I'm using an E prop; huge difference. It's also my understanding
that the E props are more efficient than the regular glow props not 100%
sure but pretty certain about it but you are correct about the stiffer is
more efficient when comparing 2 identical props lets say one plastic and one
carbon but not equal when comparing different airfoils. An APC 20X10 E will
be more efficient than a 20 X10 Glow and if you can make the APC 20X10E in
Carbon it will be more efficient than the original 20X10E etc. Just my
observations.

Ken

  _____