[NSRCA-discussion] 2.4G Required at next Nats??

Troy Newman troy at troynewman.net
Wed Oct 28 15:51:54 AKDT 2009

I think this is a really smart move on the part of the Event Director
and the AMA. The reality is if you go to the NATS practice sites, and
the AMA site they are hectic and things are happening very quickly.
People coming and going, with 3 different flying sites available. The
frequency assignments were a needed thing because there was no other
option. If you ask NATS event directors for the past 25 years they will
all tell you the same thing...Frequencies make their job a living hell.
I remember NATS check in when they tested your radio to make sure it was
narrow banded and you were on the right frequency. Thank goodness they
don't have to deal with that now.   Flight line assignments, seeding of
pilots, and management of those things all take way too much time from
the guy trying to run the contest the best he can.

By mandating 2.4 systems it will not only make the event directors job
easier, it will make the site a much safer place, for you and your
aircraft. How many years have we had incidents where models were shot
down during practice both at practice sites and the AMA site after
hours. I think there has been an incident almost every year since I have
been going to the NATS in 1997. This past year excluded since I was not
able to attend, and 2008 I don't remember any but most pilots were
already on 2.4 systems.

The truth is our models have huge investments of time regardless of the
money involved...The time to trim, setup and maintain the models is the
huge investment. My personal opinion is to risk that level of
commitment, time, and effort on 72mhz, is the same as flying it on AM or
27mhz

A trip to the NATS for me averages about $1000-1500 per year and
includes a 2000mile one way trip..... This doesn't include the models or
the consumables associated with the models, batteries, fuel, maintenance
and so on. It's just travel, hotels, and food eating out for the week.
In perspective each manufacturer JR or Futaba can convert your older TX
to 2.4 for around $200 with a new module and rx. This is extremely cheap
for the added safety, and secure connection to the model. Consider the
lower end models are $1500-2000 invested not counting the 200hrs worth
of building and the 100+ flights trimming and setting up a model. So at
worst case the cost to convert to 2.4 is around 10% or less of the
models total cost. How much of your time is invested in that model?

2.4 is more secure to your model not just from the no shoot down stand
point but the signal and connection along with noise rejection is so
much better on 2.4 than it was on PCM and exponentially better than PPM.
The Spread Spektrum technology is not a fad, or a gimmick, it is not a
dressed up FM signal like PCM was...this is like sending your plane an
email. Its faster and more secure, and provides the individual ID of the
TX by the RX. This is really the biggest improvement to R/C since
proportional control. I would say the issues with radio problems I have
seen at the local field have dropped to less than 25% of what they were
before on 72mhz equipment, and that is just sport sector. We pattern
guys take very good care of our equipment and rarely have issues anyway.
The 2.4 stuff is made for events like the NATS, Pylon, Pattern Soaring,
Scale, IMAC....the list goes on and on.

I know of clubs that have taken down the frequency board and require
100% use of 2.4 at the field.

My view is you can't afford to not be running 2.4 systems. Both
companies make excellent 2.4 systems that provide a safe and secure
environment for our models.

I applaud the effort by the AMA, and the Event director to make things
safer and easier for the event.

Troy Newman