[NSRCA-discussion] ENJOY PATTERN. IT WAS "Rules proposal 11-6 question"

Keith Black tkeithblack at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:53:27 AKDT 2009

For the record, I am also against adopting the FAI 'P' pattern for
masters.  I'm not concerned we'll suddenly find ourselves with a
sequence that's too hard and I'm not concerned it will take decision
making out of the AMA's hands.

What is the Masters sequence meant to accomplish? Ultimately it's
meant to determine who's the best pilot at any given local contest and
at the NATS. It is not intended to make it easy for Advanced fliers to
move up, it's not intended to allow easy judging by FAI judges, it's
function is to allow us to discern who's the best pilot.

Therefore, when developing the sequence it is critical that we take
into account this ultimate goal. It needs to be of adequate length,
difficulty, etc., etc. Obviously this is not ALL we want out of the
sequence, but if it does not accomplish this it is a failure.

My concern is that the FAI has a different goal with the P pattern.
Their goal is to quickly as possible weed out the weaker pilots and
get to a semi-final round. Therefore the FAI wants the sequence to be
short and with the VAST difference in pilot abilities in different
countries they have to make flyable by all that wish to participate.

I believe we need to continue developing our own sequence for Masters
to ensure it meets our needs.

Keith