[NSRCA-discussion] T-Canalizer

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at tx.rr.com
Sun Oct 18 20:07:48 AKDT 2009

Ihncheol,

Mine is 11" span.  I intended for it to be a bit larger, but after sanding it to an airfoil and making it pretty, that's where it ended up. The idea that incidence would effect the results wasn't my inspirtion.  It got to me from Ron Barr, who did it on his plane (might have been an Impact).  Yes, it did reduce push-to-belly (or what I called pitch mix) with rudder and was directly related. More negative incidence, less push to belly.  however, this was not the only effect so in the end it was a typical balance between getting the most out of the canalizer and minimizing the negative effects. I found that the wing, which I was flying with about 0 incidence needed to have its incidence raised so that I didn't require too much up trim.  This helped the downlines stay straight. I think it would do nothing for a F3P because the speeds are too low and the lack of airfoil will amplify the lift curve when the canalizer and wing are set at opposite incidences.

This was done on a Symphony.  This plane can be successfully setup with 0 incidence and a rearward CG or positive incidence and a forward CG (Hebert method).  The canalizer only had a positive effect when setup using the Hebert method,or in other words, my first flight with it was with the plane set up my way at 0 wing, but the canalizer was unworkable on this setup. Then I retrimmed the plane, with the canalizer using the Hebert method and had good results.  Removing the canalizer and leaving the plane in the Hebert scheme works, but I don't prefer it, but with the canalizer, I prefer the Hebert scheme.

--Lance