[NSRCA-discussion] Snap

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 12 08:52:07 AKDT 2009

Thank you very much for saving and sharing Dave Lockhart's in depth assessment and explanation. I returned to pattern in 2005, entering intermediate because I didn't want to work at it. Advancing through advanced to masters has required a significantly increase in elevator each time in order to fulfill snapping requirements. I ran out of elevator bevel at about 22 degrees (insufficient) and suffer the inconsistencies described. The other thing I encountered was moving the CG forward helped. It didn't seam logical that increased pitch stability would improve the snap. The only other conclusion I came to was, by reducing the nose and tail weight allowed a quicker pitch response. If this is true the electric guys should have an advantage if the wing is located such that the batteries can be near the CG. I really like pattern. As for judging it is difficult and like flying improves with practice, too bad I fly alone, not much opportunity to observe / judge.
Jim Hiller