[NSRCA-discussion] Not bama now

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 19:28:14 AKST 2009

A significant portion of the SPA airplanes look like cartoons (I feel
qualified to comment since I was a member of SPA, and flew it for
several years).  The "Daddy Rabbits" currently flying are no relation
to the real planes of the period.  If you bring out an airplane that
actually flew during that period, it is almost assured to fall afoul of
the rules, given from about 1971 on they mostly had retracts and pipes.

The other thing that has kept a lot of people out is the constant
changing of the rules, especially the unpublished ones.  The electric
situation is a case in point.  Phil admits that it could be a one year
only rule; who wants to build a plane for that?  There was also a one
time only event allowing retracts and pipes at Cullman a few years ago.
  They didn't continue that option because they didn't get many takers,
primarily because it was a one time event.

Given all of that, SPA seems to be doing ok in the southeast.  Our once
a year BPA event also does well as people like to bring airplanes out
that are really "Just like the good old days".

I'm not sure how SPA can make the events for members only in anything
but novice, as they are AMA sanctioned events.  They can make them
comply with the rules for the event, but I believe any AMA member can
participate in that sort of event without being a member of the
organization involved since it has an AMA sanction.  Just like you
don't have to be a member of IMAC or NSRCA to fly in their respective
events.

Jon Lowe