[NSRCA-discussion] Mercury

Bill's Email wemodels at cox.net
Wed May 27 16:43:59 AKDT 2009

Ed Alt wrote:
> And how exactly would you certify that you had cleaned up the spill
> successfully if you do it on your own?  Aside from the documented and
> obvious health risks from exposure, what future legal liabilities do
> you open yourself up to from a spill on your premises?  What happens
> if you later sell you home without having hired a professional for
> cleanup, and the new owner discovers mercury levels due to your
> negligence? Yes, this is what I want in an electric bulb.
>
> Anyway, this is getting way off topic, but putting lipstick on a pig
> doesn't really do all that much to fix it up. Here's what the Peoples
> Republic of NJ has to say about it:
>
> http://www.nj.gov/health/surv/documents/merchome.pdf
  Ed, the link you posted is for the cleanup of liquid mercury, as in a
thermometer. CFL typically do not contain liquid mercury it is in either
vapor or a diffused dust inside the bulb so what you posted does not
apply to CFL bulbs.

This may help some:

http://www.energytrust.org/residential/es/products/cfl_mercury.html