[NSRCA-discussion] Foam cutter power supply

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Thu May 21 07:41:13 AKDT 2009

I remember reading about using two dimmers. I believe the reason for using
two is to get a more sensitive adjustment near the voltage (15) we need. I
have used a single dimmer for mane years, which worked sort of. It wouldn't
turn on below about 25 v but could be adjusted down to 15 without shutting
off. The cure was to load the dimmer with a light bulb connected in series
with the wire and dimmer. A 300 w bulb greatly reduced the sensitivity of
the dimmer. The voltage across the light bulb is around 75 loading the
dimmer to about 3/4 full on for very broad adjustment, 150 probably would
have been enough.
There is a shock (electrocution) hazard using household current. Although I
haven't tested it I have a GFI outlet in my shop that I use. The transformer
based power supplies isolate and separate the household (primary) from the
secondary output voltage eliminating possible contact with household
current. If I didn't already have a usable power source I would just buy one
(plug & play).
Jim Hiller