[NSRCA-discussion] WRAP UP - Advancement

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Mon May 11 10:15:32 AKDT 2009

John I stripped the following from something I was working on some time back.

"Have you ever looked at it this way?
I have been an enthusiastic participant in 'Turn Around' pattern from day one because of it's challenging and continuous activity. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed stretched eight point rolls that would blow both ends of the box, but the turnarounds were redundant and only occasionally interesting.
As I remember in the late eighties the master class adopted a prior FAI schedule that we continued to fly it for seven years. During that time I developed a sense of flying a single flight plan consisting of a single continuous string of aerobatic elements, from box entry to box exit. Execution of a flight plan is the objective rather than starting and completing a series of individual maneuver as in pre-turnaround pattern.
Flight plans having little more than a dozen to well over a hundred judged aerobatic elements are present in the various competition classes. The continuous string of aerobatic elements is broken into convenient groups or packages (Maneuvers) primarily to facilitate support activities such as flight plan construction and scoring. Unless I have counted wrong the first flight plan (1 of 3) in the sportsman schedule (maneuvers 2 through 6) has 17 elements where more complex maneuvers such as a double stall turn with 3/4 rolls (Figure M) consists of 18 including the maneuver separation line".

Jim Hiller