[NSRCA-discussion] Advancement System

jonlowe at aol.com jonlowe at aol.com
Thu May 7 07:06:48 AKDT 2009

 Earl,
I have to agree.? I think trashing the whole advancement "system" is the best approach, except from Sportsman to Intermediate.? Peer pressure will do the job, and no one is formally tracking points anyway.? If the lower sequences, except maybe for Sportsman, are changed on a two year cycle, that will keep it interesting for the people who elect to stay in lower classes.? I think "declaring" your class for the year at your first contest of the year would keep people from cherry picking contests.

My understanding is that some countries (Australia?) make you prove you are ready to move up, rather than forced moves.? I'm not advocating that, but I think that moving when you are ready is better than forced moves.? I had a year in Advanced with sporadic competition that almost pointed me out the first year, back before the two year rule.? I stayed away from a couple of contests late in the season because I was trying to stay within the letter of the rules rather than point out.? The second year I had more competition, with many fewer high placements.? If the advanced pattern had changed this year, and we didn't have the point rule, I might have stayed in advanced a while longer.? I'm clearly not competitive yet in Masters, although I am improving slowly.? My Dad can tell you that my first few attempts at Masters were rather scary.?

Jon