[NSRCA-discussion] Mode 1

JEREMY CHINN lagrue at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 20 05:31:51 AKDT 2009

I started on mode 1 back in the eighties. I flew only Mode 1 until somewhere around the year 2000. Then, at the urging of some other friends, I taught myself Mode 2 as well. No buddy box, no sim, just took the transmitter from a buddy and flew the rest of the flight out....

At fly-ins and other events, I regularly go back and forth on modes all day. I have to throw a mental 'switch' when I flip from one mode to the other..... I still compete on Mode 1, and fly 3D primarily on mode 1, but can fly pattern and sport flying on either without any difficulty.

When I tried to learn to fly helis, I tried to teach myself on Mode 2. That was an expensive disaster.... After about 6 months I gave up. Then I tried a heli on Mode1. I taught myself and soloed on the first flight. Unfortunately, as pointed out in someone else's email, some of the more complex heli maneuvers are much easier on mode 2. I've managed to get past that though....

Both modes have their advantages, but neither is 'better'.

One genuine positive of flying mode 1 - no one asks to fly my birds...... : )

You want a real challenge? Learn to fly with your toes.... its actually not nearly as hard as it sounds though.....