[NSRCA-discussion] 14MZ encoders

Stuart Chale schale at optonline.net
Tue Mar 17 16:52:44 AKDT 2009

It is easy to tell if you have the new or old.  Just pull off the back
cover.  The new ones are white the old were blue.  If your radio is
really only 1 year old then it should have the new ones.  With an
encoder issue from what I have read you experience typical pot issues,
jumpiness around a certain point.  Should be repeatable.  Also possible
shifting neutral (trim).  The new white ones have a better cycle life.
Unfortunately it is difficult to be sure what some of the issues might
be as it seems Futaba just replaces them when a radio is sent in for
whatever reason or problem if they are the original ones.  Mine were
replaced when I sent it in for a screen issue.  Generally Futaba denies
any problems and just fixes the item when sent in.  As I understand it
the 12Z has the identical stick assembly/encoders as the 14.  I recently
called Futaba about a 12 with the blue encoders and was told by a
technician that only the 14 had issues.  Don't think I really believe that.

Stuart C.