[NSRCA-discussion] Servo Signals

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Tue Jun 23 12:51:33 AKDT 2009

They are called digital because they use digital techniques.  The
transistors are either on of off.  As far as I know Jerry Pullen was
the first to build them and this was his explanation.  Doug Spreng who
worked with Jerry at JPL was the first to produce and sell a system
with them (Digicon).  Many improvements were made through the years
and eventually JR made what they called a Super Servo that contained a
microprocessor.  This led to the modern day "Digital' servos that also
contain microprocessors.  At that point all the previous digital
servos began being called analog.  The truth is they are all analog
and the basic concept has never changed.  The input is a pulse that
varies in width from 1 to 2 milliseconds and the output position is
proportional (analogous) to the pulse width.  A true digital servo
would be sent a binary coded input (ones and zeros) like a PCM
transmitter sends to the receiver.

Hope this helps, Jim