[NSRCA-discussion] Heathkits

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:18:42 AKDT 2009

I had a used GD-17 and also built a GDA-19 when I was 16.  The GD-17 had
Bonner sticks and had a large, 2 deck metal cased receiver that was fairly
heavy even by late 60's standards. Not too reliable because of intermittent
receiver problems, but the rest of it was fine.   I didn't think it was a
Kraft design, but maybe it was.  Servos were Kraft KPS-9 cases, with
electronics that I think were probably Kraft or very closely derived from
Kraft.  The RF section was apparently a Heathkit design, and as for the
encoder electronics, I always assumed it was influenced by Kraft, of was
designed for them by Kraft, but was not necessarily a direct copy.

The GD-19 was on 72 Mhz and had the closed gimbal Kraft sticks, with what
appeared to be a Heath RF section and encoder.  Again, maybe derived from or
done by Kraft?  The receiver was Heathkit designed and really kicked butt
for its day.  It was single conversion, with a ceramic filter IF amplifier
and If I remember right, it used a series of SCS (silicon controlled
switches) in the decoder.  It was very selective for a single conversion
receiver, and very sensitive too.  In fact, several of us who flew at
Mitchell Field in Hempstead, NY were able to fly in an interference
environment caused by a local UHF TV transmitter (right off the corner of
the runway) that was close enough and strong enough to make a servo
connected to just a battery jitter if you held it up and moved it around a
little bit.  Kraft was sending engineers out to Mitchell to figure out why
their Series 7x stuff was crashing, while the Heathkits were impervious.
(Other brands had trouble too).  Several of us even demonstrated that we
could fly with the antenna up only one stage (obviously we only did this at
a safe altitude and with a helper ready to extend it if control was lost).
Heck of a radio for 1971.

They eventually came out with some really nice IC based servos in the
KPS-11, KPS-12 and I suppose other Kraft cases.  I never built any of their
later radios, but a lot of local guys did and they just worked great.  I
miss those days.

Ed