[NSRCA-discussion] Radio Issue

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Sat Jun 13 17:49:33 AKDT 2009

It is very common for the 10x battery cassette to move slightly and
momentarily disconnect, or increase resistance causing a brownout or
reboot of the transmitter.  The battery door latch loosens with time,
and the rubber strip inside the battery compartment either compresses
or falls out with age.  I know of one case where the battery fell
completely out of the transmitter, crashing the plane, and I had one
fall halfway out on the bench.  The cassette doesn't have to move very
far for it to lose connection.

Make sure the battery cassette is a very tight fit in its compartment.
If you can tap on the back of the transmitter with the battery cover
open and have the cassette move at all, it is too loose!  You can use a
piece of thin rubber weatherstrip with adhesive backing on one side to
compress between the cassette and its compartment.  The cassette should
be a very tight fit, and somewhat difficult to remove.  You can also
carefully rebend the latch on the battery compartment cover with a
judicious use of a heat gun and a little patience.  Probably the best
solution is to drill a small hole thru the bottom of the transmitter
case and thru the latch tab, and secure it with a small sheet metal
screw.

Jon Lowe