[NSRCA-discussion] Radio Issue

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sat Jun 13 10:37:52 AKDT 2009

This discussion reminded me of my Futaba 9Z's performance at last
year's Nats.  My airplane suffered loss of control during a flight,
but I was able to land it successfully by elevating the transmitter
antenna..

It was later pointed out that the 9Z's antenna is not really
connected to the RF module until the "ball" at the lower end of the
antenna was engaged.  That meant the large diameter antenna link had
to be fully entended.  I had always pulled the antenna out one small
diameter link when doing work on the ground.  As mentioned by Troy, I
had persistently degraded the module's output by overheating the
output transistor by my practice, until the transmitter's output was
down to 40% of normal.

Ron VP