[NSRCA-discussion] Servos suggestions for a 90 size patternplane

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 12 08:03:56 AKDT 2009

Mike I agree that we are probably stronger / more expensive servos than most
of us needed.
What's really needed is a tight servo that returns to center from either
direction. I'm not familiar with JR stuff I still use Futaba and kind of
like their standard torque S-3151 and high torque S-3152 digital servos,
both in the $30 - $35 range. I don't think I would notice the difference
between these and $100+ servos. As for torque, set up the linkage to use
full travel (100 - 120%) on both aileron and elevator which gives near
maximum torque amplification converting 40+ degrees of servo rotation to 7 -
9 degrees aileron deflection and unless you are flying snaps or spins 10 -
14 elevator control surface deflection. Many will likely disagree with what
I've said and that's OK.
How many of us really get our money's worth using the latest and greatest.
Jim Hiller