[NSRCA-discussion] Long - RE: Weight

Chad Northeast chad at f3acanada.org
Thu Jun 4 16:35:26 AKDT 2009

Hi Ron

Yes there are setups that are up at that power level, granted not
everyone is.  I have ran setups that were that powerful, but I would
make and educated guess that most are around 250-275 today.  This is
statically, in flight is another matter altogether.  I went up a little
on estimation because as model size and weight increases the W/lb rule
increases as well, its not a linear rule.  Many speak to 150 W/lb for 3D
performance, thats fine on a foamy, but anemic on a 2 meter model, and
downright sad for anything significantly bigger.  I think the 40% guys
are up to 400+ W/lb.  So if you are 250 W/lb on a 10.75 lb airplane you
will feel less performance out of 275 W/lb on a 14 lb airplane.

My main point was that to increase the weight limit by any significant
amount without changing the voltage rules would effectively negate what
we have today, at least at the top level stuff as Dave was mentioning.

Chad

--
Chad

www.chadnortheast.ca