[NSRCA-discussion] Long - RE: Weight

Chad Northeast chadnortheast at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 4 12:38:51 AKDT 2009

Dave is spot on IMO.

Also I think one important fact may have not received enough attention.  That is that the current legal voltage limit on batteries in FAI is 42V.  Increasing the weight and therefore required power of an electric model requires that you play within that rule.  To generate the necessary static 300 W/lb that most current competitive F3A models demand today but at a new weight of say even 6 kg (13.2 lbs), using an optimistic value of 35V under load you are beyond 100A setups.

There would need to be a complete rethink of how we are flying electric since most setups sitting in airplanes would not tolerate that power level for long.  To allow electric to be competitive and work reasonably well at a higher weight will require an increase to the voltage.

No doubt additional weight would require glow motors to change as well, but they have the simple road of simply increasing displacement to deal with that.

Another point to the discussion is that I have personally only witnessed one person failing the weigh in with an electric model.  This tells me that many who have been serious about competing have made whatever effort is required to abide by the rules and that it is readily done.  If 80% were failing the test then it would beg the question that something is broken, but I think currently the rules work well enough to keep everyone competitive and not provide any large advantage or disadvantage based on power plant.

The person who failed the weight did not weigh his own model prior to the contest, and relied on published weight values and a calculator to determine that his model would be underweight.  The published weight of his batteries were horribly understated though.

Chad