[NSRCA-discussion] Weight

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 3 08:01:46 AKDT 2009

Bill,

It is just a discussion that has occurred many times over, and all the info
is in the archives - point being, there is a huge volume of existing
discussion you can access there (much of it is good reading).

"As far as saying that the larger 2-meter planes have an advantage over
smaller 2-meter I assume you are talking about fuselage volume and not
actual size, since 2 meters is 2 meters."
**********Yes, the larger fuse volume flies better.  The 2M "yard darts" of
the past like Elan, Arch Nemesis, Sequel, etc are not competitive today as
they were in the past.

"And again, how is it a weight limit keeps the plane smaller?"
***********You can only add so much volume before exceeding the weight
limit.  It also limits the size of a biplane (which if purpose built for
pattern could easily be 15 lbs within 2M dimensions).

"Wouldn't making a size limit rule defining a maximum wingspan, fuse
length/width/height dimension do a better job of that??"
***********I think not.  I think the component you may be overlooking is the
biplane component - a large volume fuse 2M biplane is much bigger plane (and
therefore better flying) than a large volume monoplane.  Including the
weight limit essentially limits the size of the biplane.  And a lesser point
is that the current rules require weight check, and max dimension check -
simpler than checking all dimensions.

Going back several years, the weight limit was never an issue because the
limiting factor was available power (electrics were not viable at the time),
and then the power limits were mucked with several times, to the point at
which dimensional and weight limits became the limiting factors.  Keep in
mind another limiting factor is noise - bigger planes require more power
which equals more noise (or more expense to quiet the additional power).

Regards,

Dave