[NSRCA-discussion] Weight

Bill's Email wemodels at cox.net
Wed Jun 3 07:43:48 AKDT 2009

Dave wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Starting from the position of a well designed plane (with proper wing
> limit rule does is limit the size the plane - larger planes will fly better
> which does provide an advantage.

OK, I thought a size limit would do that better than a weight limit. As
far as saying that the larger 2-meter planes have an advantage over
smaller 2-meter I assume you are talking about fuselage volume and not
actual size, since 2 meters is 2 meters. And again, how is it a weight
limit keeps the plane smaller? Wouldn't making a size limit rule
defining a maximum wingspan, fuse length/width/height dimension do a
better job of that??

Cost arguments never made sense to me. The real problem is attracting
people to competition. Fact is of the total AMA membership only 8% on
average enter any kind of sanctioned rulebook event in a given year. And
that includes ALL rule book events. People who want to compete spend
what it takes to be competitive. The issue is that not that many people
want to compete.

Anyway, it was an interesting thought that I incorrectly assumed would
make for a good discussion.