[NSRCA-discussion] Motor Mount

George W.Kennie geobet4 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 1 12:54:34 AKDT 2009

Hey Guys,

I have a new project in the works and it involves mounting a 2K watt motor. This will be my first larger motor install so I felt that some advice from the Pros
would probably be appropriate.

The Motor is an outrunner and I can mount it from the back side directly to the firewall OR I can use standoffs and mount it from the front side of the motor.
I keep feeling that there needs to be some kind of a stabilizing bearing on the free end as there portends to be a significant amount of rotating mass if I just
bolt the thing to the firewall while a pound of motor whirls around with a large prop exerting inertial rotating energy beyond the front of the cowl. It seems like
If I use the stand-offs, there will be a more rigid area between the prop and the motor, but then I worry about the back end. Should I figure out some kind of a
bearing mount on the firewall?

Somebody set me straight on the accepted procedure please.

Thanks for you help,

Georgie