[NSRCA-discussion] Nats

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Jul 7 15:58:24 AKDT 2009

John and I had a discussion about this after he had a discussion
about it with Mike Harrison.

We can get equal exposure in one session IF the two sets of judges
observe the flights of all 38 Master class pilots.  Let's see now 38
pilots times 10 minutes average per flight equals 380 minutes.
That's six hours and 20 minutes.  Hmmm.  Kinda hard to cram that into
a four-hour afternoon session and the pilots will each only have two
flights.

Well, let's only fly four four hours one day and finish the rounds
the next day.  Then we can start on rounds three and four and finish
them the next day.  OK, we have equal exposure for all pilots and
we've flown for three days.  Wait a minute - pilots will have only
flown four rounds over three days!

Now the reason for the matrix method becomes apparent.  With it, the
pilots get equal exposure to judges each day, BUT not all pilots are
scored by all judges every day.  Compromise  is involved to obtain
six flights for all pilots.

Ron Van Putte