[NSRCA-discussion] Electronic versus Paper K-Factor Poll

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 16:48:11 AKST 2009

IMAC v/s Pattern is almost an apples to oranges comparison. IMAC popularity
can be traced to the TOC and the general appeal of large colorful high
performance readily available aircraft but mostly visibility. Pattern flying
is absent from many local clubs but large aerobatic airplanes are
represented nearly everywhere. The big airplanes attract the press and
interests spectators. Pattern by comparison is extremely repetitious and
boring to those not directly involved.
I didn't want to get into this here but I question how many non-pattern
folks would read a free K-Factor. There is a free sample available there
now. Is anybody finding it? The problem I find is "Pattern" visibility. I
couldn't get Google to find the NSRCA when querying aerobatics, RC
aerobatics or pattern, however IMAC showed up. It's as if some amount of
prior knowledge is needed before an outsider can gain access to pattern
activity.
AMA doesn't do a very good of job explaining competition events or activity
and if you don't know follow the SIG you are kind of out of luck. How dose
an outsider become aware of and interested in any competition event without
knowing where to look?
As for the K-Factor, the publication is second to none. I have been
receiving them since it was several folded 11 x 14 sheets from a copy
machine. The content has for the most part remained about the same; mostly
contest results and district news. It's more of a competition newsletter
with content of interest to those involved and of questionable interest to
outsiders or the mildly interested. There is little seed for growing
interest in any rulebook event on the Internet. It only happens at the local
level with people having fun.
To be active competitors in either IMAC or pattern requires a fair amount of
disposable income and time commitment. We draw from the same shrinking pool
of people willing to commit to a weekend out of town to participate in what
appears to be a very regimented activity flown near the limit of visibility
for many. Bigger really is better and we (Pattern) is somewhat restricted by
trying to remain compatible with FAI.
I have probably gone on too long but I don't believe our salvation lies in a
free K-Factor, not that it shouldn't be, it just won't draw many to our
sport.
Sorry Derek, forgive me for splattering this even more.
Jim Hiller