[NSRCA-discussion] Electronic versus Paper K-Factor Poll

Ryan Smith smaragdz at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 24 20:34:16 AKST 2009

I apologize if it’s already been covered, I read Troy’s post and skimmed the
others to make sure that it didn’t pop out at me.

Where are we going to get the money for someone to format the electronic
K-Factor? Would that even be a concern? I assume that there could be a
plug-and-play format to the magazine that maybe Chris or whomever just adds
the content in the appropriate areas and bypass a publisher. Does the
formatting come from the publisher currently? Isn’t that where most of the
cost is? Unless we can internalize the magazine’s production with the
transition to online only, we could really save. Would that be feasible?

I like the paper K-Factor better, as it’s a little more portable say for
traveling. I think that it’s a little more “user friendly” in the fact that
it’s easier to read, unless of course it’s to be reformatted from the online
version we have now. We can still give out printed back issues to anyone at
a contest or at a trade show or something to show what the magazine content
is, and hopefully generate some interest with new people if the concern is
to generate a wider audience. If most of the cost is in the setup, and not
the production, why not print a little higher percentage over what we get
now, and send the extras to the VP’s,  and AVP’s to distribute at hobby
shops or to people at their fields or new Sportsman pilots.

I don’t see an all-electronic version necessarily a bad thing, I just don’t
see it as the holy grail that I perceive some have lauded it to be.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan Smith

  _____