[NSRCA-discussion] Mo'CF gear talk from AeroSlave

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 06:24:07 AKST 2009

Gray,

Yes, I agree the front of the gear plate is tensioned, and the rear is in
compression.

>From side to side, the middle of the plate sees a bending load (gets lower
in the middle on landing loads) with typical 2 piece gear.  With the
overlapping 2 piece gear from Wistmodel, the gear carries the bending load.
The bending load is partially carried by the center section of one piece
gear.

So far as failures, the most common is certainly when the front of the
landing gear plate is ripped downwards out of the fuse.  However, I have
also seen plenty of gear plates that were well gusseted and braced on the
fuse edges, and cracked front to back right in the middle of the gear plate.

Regards,

Dave