[NSRCA-discussion] AeroSlave gear-From Lance

aeroslave at tx.rr.com aeroslave at tx.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 05:52:17 AKST 2009

Pattern dudes,
I'm not on the list right now so Gray will post for me.  I designed a straight gear leg last year when my commercial gear broke.  Straight gear is nice because it is interchangeable and easier to make replacements.  I also prefer it to swept gear because you can keep the wheels forward of the CG enough without the mount location looking oddly cab forward on the fuse.  The gear has flat surfaces for the axles and works with standard wheel pants.  Since we just couldn't compete with Bolly's prices and there were several sources, we weren't interested in getting into this market at the time.  Just like our airplanes, the "right" way to do things is often a way that is more labor intensive or uses more expensive materials so it affects the overall business case.  If we get into this it will be because you guys understand that quality can't be produced at a loss and are willing to reset your expectations.   The suppliers that recently exited this business obviously had an issue with margin and/or performance.

The gear I designed is manufactured differently so it is strong butactually weighs less than any of the other choices we once had/have.  At this point all I can say is our gear will be less than 3.5 oz and as strong as what we are used to.  There are several design features that are unique and support the function we need, but the gear looks similar to the old ES.  I've been flying my own gear for a year and know it is a good design however my manufacturing process involves wood molds that are not precise, C-clamps and a whole lot of scrap gear made while I figured out the technique to get it to flex properly (just a little and with no twist).   Applying our design skills to another design, maybe for electric, is absolutely possible but hasn't been done yet.  Please keep the discussion going because taking the next step for us is VERY expensive and we need to understand if what we have has broad appeal.

--Lance
--
AeroSlave
4408 Elmhurst Dr