[NSRCA-discussion] Mo'CF gear talk from AeroSlave

aeroslave at tx.rr.com aeroslave at tx.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 05:39:19 AKST 2009

Dave

Concerning your earlier email

"I am not a fan of the typical 2 piece gear – where each half stops short of the middle, and a nasty bending load is created in the center of the gear plate (unless a spreader plate/joiner is attached between the two legs). "
--

Here's how I see the stress...

On a landing, hard or soft when the gear impact, the load will be tension on the bolt closest to the edge of the "Half gear". Bolts work really good in tension. The other load is the bending back of the bolts-a load at which bolts suck. So a rough landing using a two piece gear wants to either pull the bolt through its mounting  in the plane (cuz 11lbs ain't gonna tension fail the bolt) or its gonna bend the bolt heads ...resulting in a semi tension on the plane bolt mount, wanting to once again pull it through. What happens in reality is the bolts do not break, but the entire mounting plate is stress tension up front, compression in the rear until it find sthat weak "terminated area" and rips out at that point. My whole thinking here is that regardless of a 1 piece or two piece design, the weak link to failure lay elsewhere-so 1 or 2 piece does not matter. Speaking of failures.......

Anyone who has had a gear failure...please let me hear it. Describe the landing (wasn't a 10 now was it???? be honest)  describe the failure...bolts,  plane mount, fuse sides, gear break..whatever.

My landing are always scored about 9.24-9.56, which is why Lance is testing the prototype gear.

Gray

AeroSlave Dude #2 (Lance is #1-I default to him)

AeroSlave
4408 Elmhurst Dr
Plano, TX  75093
www.aeroslave.com