[NSRCA-discussion] BOLLY out of business

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 15:01:45 AKST 2009

Gray,

I'll send you some high resolution pics offline of how the Vivat/Prestige
gear is made.  It is thin, narrow, and quite flexible in the vertical axis,
but very stiff torsionally (yes, it has biased CF cloth).  No toe in.  No
sweep.  Slight arc (think Sukhoi).  Very nice shiny finish out of the mold -
looks like clear coated carbon fiber - would be a shame to paint them.

On the Prestige, the wheelpants are integrated with the gear leg, so
mounting the pants mount very easily and are very durable.  The pants are
lightweight fiberglass, which works very well - the glass is not as brittle
as the CF.  Of the 3 sets of LG and wheelpants I have, the LG weighs 96
grams per set, and the wheel pants weigh 30 grams per set.  I typically
freshen up the paint and fix cracks on the wheelpants after about 400
flights on rough grass fields.

I prioritize function over appearance, so I say no sweep - it only adds load
to the mounting structure, and if the mounting structure is in the correct
place, sweep is not needed to put the axles at the right location.  The
small bit of arc adds aesthetic appeal to the gear, if straight leg stuff is
offensive.

I am not a fan of the typical 2 piece gear - where each half stops short of
the middle, and a nasty bending load is created in the center of the gear
plate (unless a spreader plate/joiner is attached between the two legs).
The Vivat/Prestige gear overlap within the fuselage, so loads are carried on
the edges of the fuse, and there is little need for the beefy gear plate.

Regards,

Dave

  _____