[NSRCA-discussion] Happy New Year

Tony tony at radiosouthrc.com
Thu Jan 8 10:41:22 AKST 2009

Yea, I got that engine from you later, I think....  They really didn't like
nitro..  Steve Helms and I used special fuel from Morgan that had 2.5%
nitro.  Worked great.

Later on Steve began to work with YS when they were developing their first
engine.  He went through a bunch of designs before they came out with the YS
.60 short stroke.  That engine became legend in the pattern world.  Steve
flew it with a Kato variable Pitch prop for several years.  That's why the
older radios like the Futaba 8SGA has the variable pitch prop circuitry.
The later Futaba 9VAP's also had it.

After Southern R/C Products closed, I went to a copy of an MK Arrow from
Fun-Key Airplane Company.  It was a ARC model.  It was inexpensive (about
$150.00)  Fiberglass fuse and sheeted wings and stabs and rudder.  Just
assemble, paint/cover and fly.  I took 2nd at the NATS in Masters with that
airplane as well.  It used the new at that time YS .60 short stroke.  I went
through 3 seasons of flying without loosing a single round at a local
contest (I attended about 15 each year) with that airplane/engine combo.
What a great model...  But I was also going through about 60 gallons of fuel
in about 6 months.....  maybe that is why I did so well.

Wish I had that much time to put into practice now!

Tony Stillman, President
Radio South, Inc.
139 Altama Connector, Box 322
Brunswick, GA  31525