[NSRCA-discussion] Happy New Year

Woodward, Jim (US SSA) jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Mon Jan 5 11:47:35 AKST 2009

Silly me - when I opened the thread entitled "Happy New Year," I was
expecting to see some greetings.  Happy New Years guys.

Regarding this topic, I think it is a wonderful teaching and
philosophical point for precision aerobatics , "... that all maneuvers
begin and end with a straight line."  In IMAC, the language is something
like, "... the maneuver begins when the pilot departs horizontal
wings-level flight."  (Jim H., you mention something like this in your
post a few below.)

I happen to like the pattern statement - maybe because it is so simple.
With either statement though, the primary discussion from the SE IMAC
judging seminar became, "... when do I stop deducting points from the
maneuver just completed, versus the upcoming maneuver."  In either case
the judge has to make a determination on how to apply downgrades for
what happens on exit, versus entry to the upcoming maneuver.

In my mind, the "... all maneuvers begin and end with a straight line"
statement doesn't affect that overall geometry of the maneuver.  It is
there to say that if you wings aren't level before you begin a maneuver,
then points are being deducted.  It is there to "define" briefly when
one maneuver ends and another begins.  It is there to reinforce that
there is no "sport-flying" in the box.

Thanks,

Jim