[NSRCA-discussion] Marty

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Mon Feb 16 12:49:47 AKST 2009

Martin X. Moleski, SJ wrote:
> J N Hiller wrote:
>
>> I am backing up the 'C' drive regularly to a second hard drive. If the C
>> drive fails will my computer start from the second drive?
>
> It depends on how you're doing the backup.

Drives fail, so plan on it.

On the systems I manage (including this list server), I run at least
mirrored (RAID 1) internal drives to help ease recovery from a drive
failure.  Drive space is cheap and this is a simple way to make
recovery more convenient (just swap in a new drive and rebuild the
mirror).  HOWEVER, RAID IS NOT A BACKUP SCHEME:

http://remote-backup.com/kb/the-autopsy-of-journalspacecom/

For Unix/Linux backups I rely on nightly rsync across the network to
other servers.  For Windows I use Acronis True Image to image the
drive periodically to external USB or Firewire drives.  I've used
Ghost in the past and recently tried Clonezilla, but Acronis is the
one I trust with pictures and videos of my daughters childhood.
Backup often and in many places...

The procedure is simple and  intuitive, and unlike some other backup
solutions, you can restore (or migrate from a smaller disk or
different computer) straight from bare metal.  In other words, there's
no need to install a base OS and then install the backup software
before you restore.  All you need is the bootable Acronis CD and the
media containing your backups.

http://www.acronis.com/

They have a free download if you want to give it a try.

--
Tom

    "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com