[NSRCA-discussion] Power batteries

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 11 15:54:26 AKST 2009

Ideally, the lipos would be at 3.7-3.8 volts per cell when not in use, and
only charged just prior to use.  Higher voltage equals higher chemical
activity in the cell which leads to more deterioration.

You are most likely to damage cells when they are older, have sat at high
voltage for an extended period of time, and then are deeply discharged at a
high rate.

I'm intentionally not giving specific durations or rates - because it is all
relative, and there are not any absolutes so for as what will definitely be
safe, or definitely be a problem.

In practice, I try to charge the night/morning before I fly, and don't worry
about leaving a battery charged for 1 week.  If I don't fly a battery for
more than about 3-4 weeks, I go easy on it for the first 1-2 flights (use
less throttle, don't fly as long) - this seems to recondition the packs to
an extent, even though they may not show any loss of performance (after
sitting for an extended period of time).

Regards,

Dave