[NSRCA-discussion] Power batteries

Richard Strickland pamrich47 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 08:29:17 AKST 2009

OK, new subject: All my sets of batteries were close to the end of their useful lives this last season.  All are showing fairly high resistance values and most were noticeably down on power.  Shot. Kaput.

Soo.. I've got to go invest in four sets.  Tru's lighter sets enable me to make weight--but I'm not crazy about the durability with some of Orland's experience--although they have replaced bad(slightly squishy--puffed would be too strong a term) packs under warranty.  I don't know how their larger and higher rated packs hold up and they 'only' put me over a couple oz. Price is pretty good.

The older Tanics I had actually held up the best over time--but the newer ones have not--and fairly expensive--but I drive by 'em twice a day and wave.  I had a set of Kokam 4800s and they didn't hold up well either and I think they have abandoned the larger battery market-- were/are expensive. I'm hearing Flightpower mentioned often and wonder if they have a battery guru that gives pattern guys a break.  I never really got serious about TP as at one time they had--as far as I was concerned--too many cells in their packs--but perhaps it's time to re-visit.

We also had some of the original FMA 5000s and they weren't all that great either--but may have improved with a new cell vendor.

So I'm in a bit of a quandary.  Any thoughts?  This should be interesting.

RS